Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts   View Today's Posts

Alternative Schools in Gold Coast??? - Page: 1

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

02-06-2012, 03:12 AM #1
Flame

Alternative Schools in Gold Coast???
Hello,
We are thinking of moving to the Gold Coast from Melbourne and I was wondering if there are any Alternative Schools around the Gold Coast area?
Any age group from 3 years to 18 would be very appreciated.
I was educated in Steiner and am keen on it, Montessori and other methods.
Thanks in advance!!!

02-06-2012, 03:22 AM #2
Unregistered

I think there are a few but the only one that comes to mind at the moment is Silkwood School Smile. Sorry Im not much more help but I'm sure some others may have more information Smile.

21-06-2012, 04:25 AM #3
Unregistered

Hi Flame, there is just one, it's The Silkwood School. It used to be Silkwood Steiner School but isn't officially Steiner anymore, though credit Steiner as a major influence. There is also one Montessori daycare and a daycare called Footprints which is quite similar to Steiner. Hope that is helpful!

21-06-2012, 06:17 AM #4
Unregistered

Sorry there are actually 2 Montessori pre-schools, and one of them has 2 branches.

19-11-2012, 05:36 AM #5
Unregistered

There is a Steiner day care centre called Fingerprints, for age 3 to school age, but there is a very long waiting list, and they give preference for kids going to Silkwood. Silkwood run a playgroup, and are trying to start a high school. Queensland Independent College is a little primary school with some Montessori materials, and methods.

14-04-2013, 07:18 AM #6
Unregistered

Unfortunately silkwood school is going through a "growing stage" shall we say, it's not what it used to be

26-06-2013, 06:48 PM #7
Unregistered

Hi, I just noticed your thread, not sure if your still looking but there is a great school down the road from me. Queensland independent college. It starts at yr 1 and as of 2015 high school will be introduced. My friends son goes there (he's in yr 4) and loving it. Small, small personal classes and the attention her son gets is fabulous. My kids are already settled in their school but I'm contemplating sending them there for high school. It's in Merrimac, worth checking out.

30-06-2013, 05:24 PM #8
Unregistered

John;559803 Wrote:Unfortunately silkwood school is going through a "growing stage" shall we say, it's not what it used to be

Can you elaborate on this? What do you mean by it's not what it used to be?

17-02-2014, 06:23 AM #9
Unregistered

I feel a need to open up this discussion again regarding Silkwood School at Mount Nathan on the Gold Coast so that future parents may make an informed choice regarding this school for their children. I also feel like Silkwood needs to face some honest feedback from parents regarding their education and administration. If you are a current or past parent of a student at Silkwood School or you know one can you please add to this discussion, whether or not your experience is positive or negative.

My children currently attend Silkwood Independent School and i would like to list the pros and cons of this school...

Pros: other parents (I have made life long friends from the lovely parent group), playgroup/ prep (beautiful art and craft style learning, lots of music and fun), health lunches and tuckshop, learning environment/ pretty classrooms (sucks a lot of us in).

Cons: after prep education it is a mish mash of learning styles (doesn't function and is adhoc), teacher retention (30% of teachers left in 2012), extremely high number of children with learning and behavioral challenges (school encourages these students only if they come with government funding), the funding is not spent on the children who need it (the money has being wasted on a lost court case against council for a high school that was started without the correct approvals), education such as music programs, LOTE, support teaching has being cut due to lack of funding, over 10% of families left in 2012 and I expect 2013's numbers will be greater, class size is 28 students for 1 teacher (teachers are often first/ second year teachers all with mainstream educations), of the 28 students in one my daughters classes 5 have special educational requirements (beautiful children but not getting what they require physically, emotionally or educationally, I am attached to all the parents and children but am getting tired of having to say hello and goodbye due to the unhappy families leaving (the issues are not addressed and the students leaving are just being replaced with more off the waiting list), the administrations organisation is dismal in every respect.

I, like many others, am in love with the idea of this school and am still holding on to the hope that things may improve, unfortunately it is sinking in for me that I need to move my children to seek a better education. My advice to prospective parents/ students is to visit the school but don't (like me) get roped in with the beauty and dreams of the school and question the statistic and reality of their education. Alternatively, like alot of families, enjoy the early playgroup and prep education and prepare to seek other options after prep.

I apologise for sounding very negative but I am so disappointed with this school not living up to the promises they made to us and our children. Please add to this discuss, I would love to hear from past teachers who could enlighting us as to why there is so much discontent amongst staff...