Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts   View Today's Posts

Any unschoolers out there? - Page: 1

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

01-02-2013, 10:43 PM #1
Snowgum

Any unschoolers out there?
Hi,I'm keen to hear from parents out there who have or are unschooling? It is the homeschooling pathway we have chosen for our daughter and are very excited about it. My main question and concern with this is, once you've registered as homeschooler, how do you stick to your unschooling approach whilst showing the government that you are meeting their education requirements?I resent that the government expects you to do this as I see current state curriculums as possibly the biggest obstacle to true learning that there is and this is coming from an ex teacher.

05-02-2013, 10:19 PM #2
Unregistered

Hi SnowgumI am interested in unschooling and many of the ideas I think the way I have responded to DD's learning needs over the years at home has been led by her and typical of unschooling. She has just started in an infants school (public) and I am aware that she will have a very different experience there. I'm interested to see what she makes of these experiences. There have been quite a few unschoolers come through NP over the years. You might like to search the forums and see what they had to say.

11-02-2013, 02:24 AM #3
Unregistered

Lots of tracking what you do. Take pictures of everything, save any paperwork. Cooking can count as math, science, and english. Etc. As long as you're tracking you should be good Smile I take lots and lots of pictures.

16-02-2013, 05:16 AM #4
Unregistered

Thanks bensmum25. Which state are you in? I've heard that Victoria is a good state for unschooling because they don't demand as much evidence that you are doing it their way.

05-04-2013, 01:28 AM #5
Unregistered

You can also start learning through online tutoring services. Here you find great experienced teachers who can teach you the better and you also fix time to learn.

21-04-2013, 04:51 AM #6
Unregistered

I'm in wa and have a lovely moderator. I design my own curriculum based on my kids interests and just take brief notes on a spreadsheet about how we have covered our learning outcomes.

24-05-2013, 06:46 PM #7
Unregistered

Although this post is a few months old, I thought I would still reply.
We are unschoolers (2 girls 5 and 7yrs) and we have recently registered my eldest. We registered using a natural learning/ unschooling approach and were approved without needing to give any further info or clarification on our methods, outcomes etc. We still continue to live and learn naturally and the girls are thriving. The trick is to be able (and as a teacher you may be in a better position than most of us) to use the educational terms and jargon to frame what you do. In terms of registration, HEU (in Qld) want to see what you are doing or plan to do, how and what resources you will use, and then when you report show evidence of learning or progress. As part of our continual deschooling, we try to live life as if school doesn't exist and we don't see our learning as categorised by subjects and find a lot of what we do encompasses many subjects, so when its time for me do the plan or report, its about me having to be creative to put all of this into the language the HEU want. As far as what we do on an every day basis, we still unschool - we take photos, video, and I keep a little journal of what we do.