Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts   View Today's Posts

Anyone Steiner homeschooling? - Page: 1

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

05-12-2006, 09:38 PM #1
virtualmeg

Anyone Steiner homeschooling?
I have the golden beetle books and have started to read my way through them...wondering if there was anyone out there doing the Steiner homeschool thing? I really want to, but am a little confused as to how exactly I'm gonna go about it...

05-12-2006, 09:56 PM #2
Unregistered

We have been - though I confess I've been somewhat half hearted at maintaining a routine.

There is a thread started by Becky (beckyji) about domestic routines where I share the details of our days.

I read a few books to help us find our rhythm with it. Over The Rainbow Bridge was one and I never read it, but I did discuss quite a bit of The Spiritual Tasks of the Homemaker with a girlfriend who joined a study group about it. In hindsight, there was a lot more I could have achieved but since the children were happy to free-style it most days, I was too. We cooked together, we cleaned together, they played while I pursued my domestic routines, but the overall emphasis was on establishing self-discipline through routine and pleasure and gratitude in nature and it's cycles.

07-12-2006, 08:15 AM #3
Unregistered

Hi Meg, I guess I am 'doing it'. I have a steiner inspired home learning environment. For my 2 and 4 year old, we have basic natural toys, have a simple routine, morning circle, follow seasonal cycles and celebrations(with a fairly pagan focus), daily nature walk etc. My daughter who is seven attends a small, local school part-time(bit of a weird set-up) but we do hand work, form drawing, recorder and violin, nature studies and spiritual learning at home. So I guess I really do steiner kindergarden at home and steiner inspired part-time homeschooling for the older one. I've seen the Alan Whitehead books and I've also used Path of Discovery books by Eric Fairman. I subscribe to the waldorfhomeschoolers mail list. I've got too say though that I am finding an unschooling eclectic approach more suited to my older child's needs where she is really directing her own learning. She recently pursued a a mushroom project where she used books, computer, camera, field studies to gain knowledge, not exactly Steiner but fully facilitating her freedom, autonomy, sense of excitement as a learner.

07-12-2006, 08:56 AM #4
Unregistered

Ooh, that sounds wonderful Becky!

07-12-2006, 09:08 AM #5
Unregistered

Her mushroom project was pretty cool and included a two page list of edible mushrooms in latin-she was obsessed with sounding out the latin names. I wanted to add, recently I've read "How children Learn" and "Teach Your own" by John Holt which has really helped me to let go and trust, Before that I felt a bit like-"I can't do this, I can't get my head around it". I realised I still held the perception that it was about me teaching the child not the child being the active, able independent learner.

07-12-2006, 06:52 PM #6
Unregistered

I think Im going to struggle with that concept a bit too becky, most coz thats all I ever known really. I might chase up those Holt books, and Meg if you ever want to talk about homeschooling PM me, I plan on homeschooling Dillon and your not that far from me Smile

08-12-2006, 03:55 AM #7
Unregistered

I have found Eric Fairman's books useful.

Golden Beetle Books are pretty full-on. Very rich in content, but not exactly how-to manuals. Do you have A Steiner Homeschool, Meg?

Oak Meadow Curriculum syllabus is quite a good guide - http://www.oakmeadow.com/curriculum/samples.htm - I have some of their books and they are very thorough. I picked them up 2nd hand, for interest sake really.

http://homeschoolads.proboards51.com/index.cgi is where I get the 2nd hand items - sometimes advertised, sometimes from Wanted ads.

Mostly we use stories, rhythms, nature walks and table and craft ideas from Steiner. I fell in love with it when first looking into homeschooling, but the kids weren't so keen, sigh...

08-12-2006, 05:52 AM #8
Unregistered

This site looks inspiring
http://www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com

I love steiner education, my children go to a steiner school and steiner homeschooling would be my second preference.

The couple of people i know who have steiner homeschooled have purchased an extensive curriculum. The anthrosphoical college runs the first year of their teachers education for parents who are interested. There are lots of wonderful books about steiner education.

If was homeschooling i would start with steiners philosphy that children need to be surrounded by beauty. Thus for example wood is much more preferable to touch then plastic. Part of this is that things are done with reverence for example when the children are presented with their painting tray, it is slowly and joyfully placed in front of the child rather then seeing how quickly they can be handed out.

I could write a whole essay about steiner education but ill control myself.

08-12-2006, 10:10 PM #9
Unregistered

Hey Becky

I was wondering if you know where I could get my hands on these books? I have looked online and I see you can get them from Amazon, but thats american hey?

Umm...if you know of any bookshops that have them can you let me know?

Thanks

08-12-2006, 11:24 PM #10
Unregistered

Beau, there are quite a few Aussie shops who sell Steiner resources - see: http://www.steiner-australia.org/other/bookshop.html for the listings.