Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts   View Today's Posts

Breech Birth? - Page: 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

11-10-2012, 03:04 AM #11
Unregistered

Breech Birth?
Hi Blossoms. It's not me having a breech adventure (fingers crossed!!), but motherwho. Smile Must make sure to bring that gymball out and sit on it rather than lean back in the couch...

13-10-2012, 02:56 AM #12
Unregistered

Breech Birth?
Hi everyone, I just wanted to reply to update this thread as to what happened for those thinking about an ecv or at all interested... after all my confusion and stress about the baby being in breech position, we did a lot of research and went ahead with an ECV (External Version) at Box Hill Hospital when I was almost 37 weeks pregnant. On the phone when I was booking the appointment the midwife said that the process would be - 1. arrive at the hospital and have an ultrasound to confirm the breech position, 2. foetal monitoring, 3. injection/drip to relax the uterus, 4. external version which would take around 15-20 minutes, 5. about an hour of monitoring to ensure the baby is ok. She said not to eat too much because they would tip me up the wrong way a little to encourage the baby to fall away from the pelvis and so on.I was incredibly nervous and also read a bit too much online in forums and information pages... enough to stress me out and wonder if we were making the right decision.Anyway, on the day we went in and the registrar was absolutely lovely. He was excited to hear it was my second baby as he said he has about a 50% success rate with first babies and about 75-80% success turning second babies. He confirmed the position with ultrasound and while the midwife was getting the monitoring set up he had a quick feel of my stomach... he said I felt very relaxed and as he spoke I could feel that he was pushing the baby a bit... and a bit more, and a bit more... he said I was able to relax my stomach so well that he was just going to have a little go --- literally 60 seconds later I had a head down baby who, according to the monitoring, was sound asleep! I couldn't believe how easy it was. He said it is better if they are able to do the ECV without the drugs anyway as the baby is less able to flip back afterwards if the uterus isn't relaxed by the use of drugs. The midwife came back into the room and it took her a minute to get her head around the fact that the doctor had already turned the baby and it was all over!!I truly believe that this process was so easy due to a few things - the acupuncture and moxibustion I had been having over the previous weeks, we did two 10 day rounds of moxibustion along with acupuncture, and although it was not successful in turning the baby, according to my acupuncturist it has been connected with more successful ECVs. I was also having chiro treatment (including webster's technique when I needed it) around twice a week from about 30 weeks. On top of that I attended prenatal yoga each week and believe that gave me the ability to fully relax and breathe through the process while I was having the ECV done. It wasn't without discomfort, but was not as painful as I had read it could be online (partly because the baby flipped very easily and it was only 1 minute, I can imagine if the baby didn't want to move or if the procedure was longer it would obviously have been more uncomfortable).After that my baby stayed in a head down position and by 38 weeks was engaged and ready to go. On Wednesday morning at 3.02 am I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl in the water at home, as originally planned. It was beautiful, she is beautiful, we are all well and healthy and safe in the comfort of our home and I am just so grateful that I had the ECV and did what I thought was right for us after careful consideration. I have been wanting to update this as when I was stressing about what to do and so on, I found hearing other's stories comforting. So here is mine! Thanks to all those who offered advice to my previous threads. Best wishes everyone Smile

13-10-2012, 03:43 AM #13
Unregistered

Breech Birth?
Wow motherwho! Congratulations!!! So happy to hear how it all worked out for you.

10-11-2012, 03:11 AM #14
Unregistered

Breech Birth?
Congratulations Mother Who, beautiful! apologies for the mix up lennielovesvinnie x

16-08-2013, 09:00 AM #15
Unregistered

Breech Birth?
I know I'm much too late - glad you had a successful ECV! Just in case it is relevant for the future, the best option for VBB in Melbourne is Lionel Steinberg - in fact he is probably the only real option. Guy Skinner sometimes supports it too. The Women's is now supporting VBB more and more but its not guaranteed unless you sign up to a group of private obs who deliver there. To my knowledge none of them support physiological upright breech birth - all assisted delivery, like Dr Pesce at Westmead. Anyhow, I just wanted to mention that there is a Facebook group that supports Australian women with breech pregnancies, and has quite a bit of knowledge about options here and there: http://www.facebook.com/groups/breech. We also have a website: http://www.breechbirth.net. We'd love to hear all about your successful ECV story in the group - lots of women get anxious about it so its great to hear positive stories.

13-09-2016, 11:13 AM #16
houseofcheese

RE: Breech Birth?
My first child was breech and I only found out on my last checkup. I thought i would do normal delivery but to my surprise they had to take him out thru csection.

Having a baby is a life-changer. It gives you a whole other perspective on why you wake up every day.