Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts   View Today's Posts

Does Education Kill Creativity? - Page: 1

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

13-05-2011, 09:45 AM #1
shiremum
Posting Freak

Does Education Kill Creativity?
Another fantastic TED talk. from Sir Ken Robinson on education, talking about the education system, its purpose to support the industrial revolution & university entrance & output, its impact on human creativity, the creative (non academical) child & wholistic education.

[video=youtube;iG9CE55wbtY]http://youtu.be/iG9CE55wbtY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Putting education into perspective.
Enjoy x

13-05-2011, 11:00 AM #2
Unregistered

Love it Big Grin

14-05-2011, 10:40 PM #3
Unregistered

The steiner system of not teaching any 'abstract symbols' before the age of 7 allows the creativity to thrive. Supposedly children's brain development proves that their thought is not able to identify with abstract before age 7. So by holding off on reading and writing until then and allowing them to stay in their creative stage we are enhancing their development.

15-05-2011, 04:09 AM #4
Unregistered

Jeez he's funny! At times it seemed like a standup routine! :lol

his talk is a very non-threatening and gentle introduction to some ideas with pretty radical implications. Most of what he was saying I first came across via John Taylor gatto - now that was a baptism by fire! Confusedhock Wink

15-05-2011, 08:41 AM #5
Unregistered

DH reckons this guys like an adult Harry Potter, either way DH is lucky he's already married to me...serious nerd crush here :mrgreen

15-05-2011, 09:05 AM #6
Unregistered

I know it was intended to be a conversation on creativity and education but something he said struck a cord with me.
I need to find an outlet for aaron to be able to move while learning.
Thank you for posting this Shiremum!

Shay

15-05-2011, 09:21 AM #7
Unregistered

I know the part you're talking about Shay! Maybe he's born to be a dancer?? :lol Might not be his cup of tea but there's plenty of great dancing around for guys these days, hip hop being just one of them.

I liked it when he said that "ADD wasn't available as an option back then"! :lol

15-05-2011, 09:24 AM #8
Unregistered

Yeah thats right Jas, it was like a light bulb Aaron disturbs other kids, he has to be moving constantly in order to absorb anything, even at school he has a wiggle seat which is a square board sitting on a half circle so he can wobble his lower half of his body while he writes and does his work.
even if its not dancing but there has to be something to give him an outlet

Shay

26-04-2012, 04:13 AM #9
Unregistered

I love Sir Ken! He is brilliant...I am currently doing school tours because my eldest son starts school next.

I cannot believe that in 2012 every school is still primarily focused on numeracy and literacy. I understand maths and english is important and necessary, but it concerns me that our children go from their creative/hands on kindergarten environment to a school environment that is all about letters and numbers.

17-05-2013, 11:47 PM #10
Unregistered

Well in an education system where you are just intended to learn for a good job with out knowing about what actually your interests are and suites your personality is creativity killer. There should be a system developed that can justify what actually the children and students really are into.