Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts   View Today's Posts

Moving back to Australia - Page: 1

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

23-08-2009, 01:22 AM #1
Larissa

Moving back to Australia
Hi there

in a few short months we will be moving back to Australia after being in Europe for 2 years. We are going back to the same area and the same school. Has anyone else done this here?

I am concerned how the kids will be received (10, 8 & 5), we come from a very small town and many people here as much as I love them have never travelled. I am just wondering if the kids will be accepted or picked on, snubbed? My eldest has written a few letters to her old friends and they seem to miss her so perhaps things will be fine.

It will be hard to leave where we are because we have Europe on our doorstep and loads of different cultural things to do and the kids have made great friends here. But it will also be wonderful to go back to the town where the kids were born and spent their early childhood and see our family again.

If you have done this or know someone who has how did they settle back into their old area?

23-08-2009, 02:54 AM #2
Unregistered

Moving back to Australia
I don't really have experience to help as our children are younger and we returned to a different city but wanted to welcome you to NP.

All the best for your move.

23-08-2009, 02:57 AM #3
Unregistered

Moving back to Australia
Ditto for us, i.e. younger kids and moved to a new area. We were away longer (11 years) which made it harder to adjust. Even now (18 months back) I still compare everything to what I knew when I was away, because that's my benchmark. People get tired of hearing how it is different elsewhere though!

23-08-2009, 06:35 AM #4
Unregistered

Moving back to Australia
Thanks for the welcome Marguerite. I have been reading this forum on and off for years. I didn't realise it was my first post.

Starbuckozzie, yes we wanted to stay longer, but the company are sending us home. I think it will be ok since we have not been gone so long. However I wanted to hear others experiences. I am going to have to bite my tongue. At this point I am not really keen to move back, but I cannot say that to people I know.

23-08-2009, 08:43 PM #5
Unregistered

Moving back to Australia
That is really hard. Are you concerned that you are going to hurt people's feelings if they hear that you preferred your life overseas?

We did not come back on our terms either, but now three months on, we are settled and actually somewhat grateful that fate intervened. I hope it works out the same way for you.

starbuckozzie Wrote:People get tired of hearing how it is different elsewhere though!
So true, but you can't help but compare. I still miss the little things like call to prayer and seeing glamorous Emirati women in their Abayas.

24-08-2009, 12:23 PM #6
Unregistered

Moving back to Australia
I am sure everything will work out, but it is just so lovely here at the moment. it is summer and eveyone is out and about, there are so many festivals and faires. I would love at least one more year.

I am concerned about hurting peoples feelings about not wanting to go back, although I have told my parents.
If only we could drag Australia a bit further north so it is not so far from the rest of the world. Smile

24-08-2009, 04:46 PM #7
Unregistered

Moving back to Australia
I miss my English village SO much and don't think I'll ever get over it. Having said that, I am really really glad to be back here. There are some fantastic things about Australia. Just yesterday we had a lovely warm day and it's still officially winter!

I know what you mean about wanting it a bit further north, but there are good things about isolation too, although we are nowhere near as isolated as some would like to be.

Think about the bakeries, beaches, outdoor swimming pools, less crowded roads, wineries, NZ a short flight away. Oh, and we've got festivals going on at the moment because it's just the right weather! Summer gets too hot. And there are lots of cultural things here, despite the old joke about there being more culture in a tub of yoghurt. :-)

And there is that nice little thing called long service leave which means you can get back for a good visit, and you can always go and live there for a bit when you retire. That's our plan anyway ...

It's hard to leave, I know, but you will have a good life again here.

24-08-2009, 10:28 PM #8
Unregistered

Moving back to Australia
Larissa;488549 Wrote:If only we could drag Australia a bit further north so it is not so far from the rest of the world. Smile

Here here. I hate that it is over eight hours flight to get to anywhere other than NZ and the other south pacific nations.

Larissa, I would hope that people understand and do not take it personally that you were not ready for the move just yet.

26-11-2009, 06:32 AM #9
Unregistered

Moving back to Australia
don't have personal experience with your exact op question. BUT, I had to reply anyway!

I have moved back after over-14 years in North America. I have 2 kids, the oldest is 6 and has been in 3 different schools on 2 different continents in the last year and he manages just fine. We call him Mr. Sociable! Big Grin

I had mixed feelings about coming back. I actually found it easier to talk about these feelings with my family/friends so that they understood. I am very happy to be back in Australia! But, it was really tough in the first few months for me because I knew I'd be moving again (from my Mum's place and then from the rental to our new home, which I hope to be permanent for a while!) and so I didn't try too hard to make friends straight away. I got a bit lonely and missed my old friends/family in NA. It was crazy because for the first 9 years I was so homesick for Australia I always wanted to come back and now that I was back I was homesick for NA!!!

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I know some of what you are feeling. It will all work out and at least your going back to your home town, that will be nice.