Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts   View Today's Posts

Schooling and overseas travel for long periods of time. - Page: 1

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

24-06-2013, 10:45 PM #1
MiasMum

Schooling and overseas travel for long periods of time.
Hi all, I was hoping someone could offer some ideas or advice. My husband and I have had an opportunity come up that we are still in the process of deciding what to do. We have been offered an opportunity for us and 2 children (8 and 10) to stay and travel around Europe for 3 months at the end of the year (Oct-nov-dec). We still aren't sure as we have a lot of organising and decisions that need to be made.
Now what my question here is...how do we go about the schooling issue? Would it be a matter of home schooling overseas? Online correspondence? or just getting some set task assigned by their teacher for that time? Im not sure. Its something we need to get ontop as we don't have long.

Im very excited as I have never left aujstralian soil...so its a big adventure!!!
I hope all can shed some light on the subject...all input or experiences are appreciated.
thanks.

25-06-2013, 03:52 AM #2
Unregistered

You could ask your children's teachers for work. However I would recommend just going and making sure that your kids are involved in working out where to go and how to get there and visit all sorts of different museums, galleries, local shops; eat different food, travel on local transport, meet kids in local playgrounds (doesn't matter if they don't speak the language, they will find some way to get along).

They can read the labels on museum exhibits and brochures or take some books (or ebooks) to read. They will learn about timetables and time zones and exchange rates and distances and all sorts of other mathematical concepts.

It is a wonderful opportunity for all of you and you will get so much out of it that cannot be measured only in chapters from a text book :-) Have a great trip!!

25-06-2013, 04:53 AM #3
Unregistered

I did this for 2 years, with my children who were 5 and 11 at the time. For three months? I would speak to their teachers, get some idea of the work and find some online resources. Mathletics was good, But then, try and do some local geography, history, language, social studies art etc to make it local to where you are?Its not what they learn which is important, its that they do. You can likely one on one, get all the learning done in 2 hrs a day so don't panic they don't get 6 hours of school in a day.My kids are now back in a regular school and slotted back in just fine.