Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts   View Today's Posts

Steiner & High School - Page: 1

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

11-02-2006, 08:20 AM #1
Unregistered

Steiner & High School
We are thinking about a Steiner education for Elijah. Even though I can't get him into playgroup there yet.[Image: icon_cry.gif]
Atm the school we would send him to only caters for the Primary years. After this there is a Steiner Stream at a mainstream state High School. I have several concerns with this :-
Firstly if we send him here would he be labelled as one of the " hippy kids"?
Secondly it really is too far for me to drive him everyday (the primary campus is only 30 mins away) and there is no public transport from where we live.
Thirdly the Steiner Stream only goes to year 10, and then the kids are lumped in with all the "non-hippies" [Image: icon_wink.gif] anyway!

However if we send him to Steiner for primary and then to a local mainstream High School would he have more dificulties adapting? What about if we send him to Seiner for primary and then to a Private High School (if we could get him into one)?

I know Steiner say that the kids usually have no problems adjusting but I was wondering if anyone had some first or even second hand knowledge about this issue and could give me some idea of what I need to be thinking about most and next.
Also what, if anything I haven't yet factored into the problem[Image: icon_biggrin.gif]

Thanks.

11-02-2006, 09:00 AM #2
Unregistered

Steiner & High School
We are in the same position Jen, although our school is making preparations to start a high school in future years. I'm non-committal about going Steiner all the way at this stage as I want to observe my own children's academic inclinations and social development.

Really tho', I think it all comes down to so many individual factors; sociability of the child, temperament, academic interests, the school demographic, their educational philosophy, the subject range offered, the kinds of teachers the school attracts ...

Phew, so I guess I'm no help at all, am I!!

11-02-2006, 11:43 PM #3
Unregistered

Steiner & High School
Quote:However if we send him to Steiner for primary and then to a local mainstream High School would he have more dificulties adapting?

These kids are usually the most equiped at adapting to new environments, mainly becuse they have been taught to think for themselves and they enjoy learning. They are often at the top of their class and don usually have problems with being "singled out" by other kids.

I went from steiner to a public high school in yr 9 and although I found their teaching style (ie: the 40 min classes and "just another student" feeling of being in such a big school) a bit odd, I was more than able to cope with the change.

12-02-2006, 08:50 AM #4
Unregistered

Steiner & High School
I have a friend who is a highschool teacher. Last year 3 former Steiner students started at the highschool where he works. He said that one was very bright and adapted easily. The other two had fairly poor literacy and numeracy skills and were struggling with the transition.

Of course, this is just one person's experience of Steiner kids. It may be that those kids would have been the same transitioning from any primary to any highschool. I guess the best you can do is to stay as involved as you can in your child's learning journey and if you have concerns that a particular type of education isn't working for your child you'll have a chance to change course earlier rather than later.

Jennifer

13-02-2006, 01:48 AM #5
Unregistered

Steiner & High School
My daughter moved from a steiner school in year 4 (when we moved too far away) to a public school. she was about a year ahead from what they were doing but adapted very well. I think every kid will be different but the steiner system seems to give kids lots of good skills such as individual thought and a love of beauty. After threee years at a Catholic high school (her choice not mine) she went back to the steiner school Then this year has gone to the public high school as she wants to do physics, chemistry and 3U maths which is only done at external mode at Steiner. Again she has found the change easy.

Most kids i know who go to steiner in primary go to mainstream schools in high school.

Distance and driving does become a big issue in the practical sense though new bus routes and carpooling sometimes emerge.

Where i live all the kids from different schools socailise amongst each other. The steiner kids have the expectation they will be more creative but that is probably about the only label they get.

If it seems right for now i wouldn't worry to much about the future as it often has a few unexpected twist and turns IYKWIM.

13-02-2006, 05:04 AM #6
Unregistered

Steiner & High School
I went to Steiner primary school, then continued from year 7 onwards at my local high school.

I won't repeat what others have said, but I agree wholeheartedly with both Jodie and Melissah...

Personally, I found the transition reletively easy. I found that I was quite ahead academically compared to most in my classes so had no trouble in that area. Wearing uniform, referring to teachers as "Mr" and "Miss" etc felt quite odd at first, also the lack of artistic emphasis in our schoolwork and the standard of work expected (significantly lower than I was used to.) I felt very fustrated about not being able to incorporate art into all areas of my learning - I did try but it was very difficult as most teachers didn't appreciate it and didn't allow time for such things. All that aside, though it did seem utterly foreign at first, I adjusted quickly to "normal" school. I always longed to go back to a Steiner school (still do), but consoled myself with the thought of how lucky I was to have Steiner education I did.

Quote:These kids are usually the most equiped at adapting to new environments, mainly because they have been taught to think for themselves and they enjoy learning. They are often at the top of their class and don usually have problems with being "singled out" by other kids.

I agree. I found a group of friends very easily and a nice little niche in the music/drama community. I was never singled out as the "hippy" at high school, but funnily enough was called so during primary school! Lol.

Any amount of steiner schooling is good in my books, even just during the primary years. It's a lovely experience to have had.

13-02-2006, 08:25 PM #7
Unregistered

Steiner & High School
You might end up moving closer to the high school you're talking about too. I actually went there (not Steiner, the high school with the Steiner stream, but this was before the Steiner stream) and I can tell you if the music program is anything like it was when I was there it's awesome. They also have a big emphasis on drama and visual art, possibly why they went for a Steiner stream. So that's something to consider... if your child ends up really arty and creative you may want to take advantage of that.

15-02-2006, 06:47 AM #8
Unregistered

Steiner & High School
I just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciated your input.

I still don't know what the best plan of attack is for us. You are right it does depend on so many variables. Not least of which DS is only nineteen months old and hasn't really shown us much of his academic ability yet, in fact he doesn't even talk yet [Image: icon_biggrin.gif]

I guess the first step is to get him into playgroup and see how much he enjoys that, and also whether or not I'm able to cope with the idea of him really receiving an "alternative, hippy" education. [Image: icon_rolleyes.gif]

I realise now from your comments that the least of my concerns should be what may happen in 2015 or 2016. [Image: icon_eek.gif] Phew - Perhaps I need to be a little less of a forward planner!!

17-06-2013, 06:21 AM #9
Unregistered

Steiner & High School
That's really good that you kid was quite smart and very adaptive in nature.so your child was able to handle everything.But in most of the cases many children are not able to and at last they need a tutor.