Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts   View Today's Posts

TV and very young kids - Page: 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10-12-2010, 09:27 AM #11
Unregistered

TV and very young kids
Research shows frequent viewing of TV violence increases aggressive behavior.
In the Kimball (1986) study, after children began watching TV, boys had more stereotyped views of traits, behaviors, occupations, and peer relations; girls had more stereotyped views of traits and peer relations.

14-12-2010, 06:25 PM #12
Unregistered

TV and very young kids
This is always a sore point for me- I feel super guilty about using DVD's with my 2yo lad, I must admit, we don't have a TV as we can't stand it, so he's never been exposed to it except for when we went on a short holiday recently. BUT, I beat myself up BIG TIME about having to use DVD's (on the pc) to get a break/time out. Especially when my boy is a late talker - all sorts of thing go through my head i.e. it's my fault/I'm an uncreative parent/I'm a shite parent etc etc It's really something that causes me a lot of upset :cry I always told myself before he was born that he would have very limited screen time. Now I just don't know how to get by without it, it's awful and I beat myself up about it a lot! :cry xx

14-12-2010, 07:05 PM #13
Unregistered

TV and very young kids
Hey Oomoo, check [URL="http://forums.naturalparenting.com.au/educating-our-children/39858-kids-tv-tell-me-bad-stuff.html"]this thread[/URL] out. There are some interesting alternatives/links with ideas in it.

I think Jasziza has been feeling similarly to you and I also feel guilty when DS watches anything (also mostly on the pc). He's been watching video clips of songs from bollywood movies lately and is a bit obsessed although I try to limit it. I prefer the music as he dances along but still not 100% happy with screen time.

Don't be too hard on yourself, even just using some alternatives each day may make you feel better. At least we know we're all trying together Big Grin

15-12-2010, 08:36 AM #14
Unregistered

TV and very young kids
Oh thanks heaps PA! Invaluable stuff- thanks for the lead Big Grin xx

15-12-2010, 08:36 AM #15
Unregistered

TV and very young kids
P.S. Hehe, Bollywood movies eh? Hehe

15-12-2010, 09:36 AM #16
Unregistered

TV and very young kids
Glad it was useful & I blame Mum completely for the Bollywood song addiction. We didn't have a TV until I was 10 but she's the one who watches Bollywood now and introduced it to DS :roll :lol - and then she tries to deny it!

03-07-2011, 09:29 PM #17
Unregistered

TV and very young kids
Superbaby book had some research that led to the educational claims being stripped from the baby einstein DVDs. It not only doesn't make kids smarter but kids who watch TV have fewer words in their vocabulary, the kids using these DVDs were actually scoring lower than the non tv kids. They also studied whether kids can learn from a ox- they sat some kids down to watch a video instruction, they couldn't complete the activity. The kids who watched the live demo could. Background TV actually masks the sound of mums voice so they don't hear what she's saying, so they say even to avoid that.

Really, really good book- even though the cover is misleading, it looks like it's about creating super smart infant genius kids but is focused on dispelling a lot of the myths around the so called educational toys.

04-07-2011, 05:24 AM #18
Unregistered

TV and very young kids
I've not heard of that book, naturalaussiemum - what's the full title and who's it by? Sounds interesting! Smile