Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts   View Today's Posts

baby monitors - Page: 3

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

15-08-2006, 01:59 AM #21
Unregistered

baby monitors
Carlia Confusedhock I hope you told those people off!!!!!

As I said beofre, I bought it for when I grab a quick toilet break or shower break when he was sleeping or playing in the lounge.
Now I just shower with him and I feel ok taking a quick pee when he's sleeping :2lol
At the start I didn't want my eyes off him for second. With Breeze, I would stay awake all night looking at her and get my best friend to take over watching her an hour during the day so I could nap...but i think I may have had a bot of paranoia cause I couldn't believe how lucky I was to have her...she was too good to be true :love

16-08-2006, 10:49 AM #22
Unregistered

baby monitors
I thought that I would 'need' a baby monitor before my first baby was born - especially as I am hearing impaired.

Like some others here have found I wasn't usually too far away from my baby so it didn't really matter that I didn't buy one. The times that I was away (such as hanging washing or being in the pool when the baby was sleeping) I simply used my intuition to tell me when my baby needed me! Intuition is a marvellous tool, can be developed and best of all it is free!

Another thing to consider with baby monitors is that, like cordless phones, conversations and other noises can be picked up by other receivers such as cordless phones, neighbour's baby monitors and local ham radio etc. Remember to turn them off at certain times if you do end up getting one! Wink

PS I wonder how much they contribute to EMF levels? (electro magnetic field)

16-08-2006, 11:08 AM #23
Unregistered

baby monitors
We have used the angel care noise and movement monitor (sends off an alarm if they stop breathing) and we think it is brilliant.

Our bub slept with us for the first couple of weeks but then made it clear she wanted her own space (nearly 2 and still loves her own cot in her own room, dark with door closed). I obviously felt nervous aout not sleeping with her since I think you can sense their breathing when in the same room. A neighbour recommended it to me. At first I was sceptical thinking it was parannoid parenting but then she pointed out "yes, it is - but isn't she a good reason to be "paranoid"?"

If bub doesn't sleep with you I think they are a great idea (and if you go to friends houses for dinner etc and put them to sleep they are a great tool)

16-08-2006, 11:12 PM #24
Unregistered

baby monitors
Yep, a monitor is just a tool, and as with all tools, it can be used well, or badly. That's no need to make those of us who need a monitor feel like we're doing the wrong thing though. I used to have DD in the same room as me during her day sleeps, but as a reflux baby, it took only the smallest noise for her to start to wake, then she would be in pain (from the reflux) and wake up crying, never having a decent sleep unless I sat in one space and made no noise. It just wasn't possible to have her sleeping in the same room (unfortunately at the time I hadn't discovered a sling, or I would probably have used that instead).

Now, at 2, she sleeps in our room on our bed when we're not there, and still, from habit I think, she will wake at the slightest noise. In order to be able to do anything at all while she's sleeping, I have to have the door closed.

She's old enough now that when she wakes she could call our and have us hear her, but we like the added security of the video monitor. It makes us feel like she's in the same room, while she has the quiet she needs to get a decent rest. It also means that I can respond more quickly when she needs me, before she even calls out in most cases. I can tell, if she's wriggling around, if she needs me, or is just getting more comfortable, without disturbing her all the time.

As I said, like all tools, it can be misused, but it can also be used to help parent in a sensitive and caring manner.

17-08-2006, 10:19 AM #25
Unregistered

baby monitors
Quote:That's no need to make those of us who need a monitor feel like we're doing the wrong thing though.
???

17-08-2006, 10:24 PM #26
Unregistered

baby monitors
OK, probably a bit of an over-reaction, but I just get the feeling from several posts that people think monitors are unnecessary, and that if you use them, it means you're more detached from your children. While that may be the case in some instances, I feel it is a generalisation.

03-09-2006, 10:09 PM #27
Unregistered

baby monitors
We didn't bother with a monitor for DS in the beginning because our house was tiny! He was normally with me during the day (sling, held or just right beside me) and we coslept at night. DH laughs about the superpowers mothers must have because I could hear DS sqeak in our bedroom even over the din of other noises. Maybe it's the attachment parenting, but I can also tell what he's doing (in his sleep) from the noises he makes eg. rolling over etc.
We moved house when he was 23months old and he went into his own room from then on and I used a Uniden 5.8GHz cordless phone as our room monitor. We tried the AngelCare brand one but found the static to be too much. The great thing about the cordless phone as a monitor is that it can be recharged, is digital so no fear of neighbours listening in, is crystal clear, has a huge range (1km) so I can be in the garden when he's napping, and it lets you know when you do go out of range. The only downside is that the battery only lasts 5-6 hours so we need to swap them over during the night.

15-09-2016, 03:33 AM #28
houseofcheese

RE: baby monitors
Have you already decided which one to get? I use infant optics and it's pretty good. Before i decided to get one i have read couple of reviews on baby monitors. Maybe this will help you out https://www.safebabymonitor.com/

Having a baby is a life-changer. It gives you a whole other perspective on why you wake up every day.