Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts   View Today's Posts

Ferber - Has he mellowed with age?? - Page: 1

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

30-12-2005, 12:04 AM #1
Jamie

Ferber - Has he mellowed with age??
"JENNIFER JAKOVICH has spent most of her 5-month-old daughter's life dodging questions from friends, family and strangers about how and where Chloe sleeps. But since hearing that Dr. Richard Ferber, the country's most famous infant sleep expert, has relaxed his admonition against parents sleeping with their babies, she has taken a different tack. "

More at link: [url="http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/29/fashion/thursdaystyles/29sleep.html"]http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/29/fashion/thursdaystyles/29sleep.html[/url]

30-12-2005, 12:28 AM #2

Quote:Like many other parents, she never intended to sleep with her daughter. "My view was that granola-hippie-type people co-sleep," she added.

Peace man :meditate

That is really good that these people are speaking out about co-sleeping, but sad that it took Ferbers ok to make them do it. There are so many other sources of information out there that say why co-sleeping is so beneficial.

30-12-2005, 06:39 AM #3

ROFL Lisa you big hippy you Wink.

30-12-2005, 10:32 AM #4

I think it's great! Elimination communication made the front page of the local paper here and I was agog! NP in all it's guises is becoming mainstream!!:clap

30-12-2005, 07:55 PM #5

i didn't read the article. But i did read in a co-sleeping book called Goodnights, that Ferber, said he deeply regretted the advice he'd given in the past!

30-12-2005, 10:53 PM #6

I have heard that too Cate. Apparently if you read his book, he only considers CC a strategy for children over two and is deeply annoyed that it is advised by health professionals as a strategy for babies.

31-12-2005, 01:18 AM #7

I heard that he onyly considered it a strategy for kids over 3. And i had a CHN recommending it using his name when Anna was 3 months!

31-12-2005, 01:31 AM #8

Ferber is revising his book and relaxing his stance.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local...arwest-hed

Quote:`Cry' doctor adjusts advice
Says there are misconceptions about baby care

By Bill Hendrick
Cox News Service
Published December 15, 2005

ATLANTA -- Bridget Radatz is 9 now and no longer recalls the horrible night her mother, Carrie, ignored her frantic wails and just let her cry her eyes out.

But her mom does.

Radatz had read the 1985 landmark primer for new parents, "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems," by Dr. Richard Ferber, director of the Center for Pediatric Sleep Disorders at Children's Hospital in Boston. And his advice, which came to be known as "Ferberizing," was to let bawling babies "cry it out" to learn to go to sleep.

"So once I let her cry for an extended period," says Radatz, 34. "It seemed like an hour and a half, but it was probably only 20 minutes. By the time I went in to get her, I was crying too. I didn't do that again."

Now, Ferber is combating what he says are misconceptions about his method, which he now says may not be appropriate for all children, although he's a little difficult to pin down.

On network TV morning shows last month, he said he hasn't radically changed his "cry it out" advice, but a revised edition of his book due out in several months does explore additional techniques for helping children sleep through the night.

The hubbub has refocused attention on one of modern parenting's most vexing issues: how to get your child to sleep through the night.

Diane Sawyer on "Good Morning America" pointed out to Ferber that his book did recommend leaving a child crying for up to 45 minutes. Now he says he has been misunderstood and that some crying is OK, but not too much.

"If it means a little crying to learn a habit so that now they don't have to cry repeatedly at night, that's what we're talking about," Ferber told Sawyer.

He still favors leaving children in their cribs and periodically soothing them only if necessary. He contends he is revising the book because research has shown that babies don't need as much sleep as he originally advised.

He did not return numerous calls for this article, and his publicist said he wasn't available to talk about the book.

Bible for pediatricians

Ferber's work became the rage in the 1980s, a bible for many pediatricians. Millions of parents were told to let their babies cry for increasing periods of time each night for about a week. Parents could briefly pat or stroke their children and comfort them verbally but not pick them up.

Some parents, however, took the advice to mean that children should simply be allowed to cry all night without intervention until they "learned" to go to sleep on their own.

The book spawned a cottage industry of baby instruction tomes and a heated debate over whether the crying was right, or perhaps harmful. Some studies say letting babies cry can cause learning difficulties for them and anxiety problems for parents.

The most ardent and vocal opponent of the "cry it out" method, Dr. William Sears, has just come out with "The Baby Sleep Book," written with one of his two pediatrician sons, Dr. Robert Sears, in which they urge parents to rescue their infants from crying jags.

After Ferber's recent TV appearances, the Sears team put a statement on their Web site, DrSears.com, repeating their advice for parents to go quickly to the rescue of crying kids.

They say a raft of studies strongly suggest that the "crying out" method can cause long-term damage to children. The studies contend:

- Babies left alone experience panic and anxiety, filling their bodies and brains with adrenaline and cortisol stress hormones, which can harm developing brain tissue.

- Infants routinely separated from parents in a stressful way may have lower growth hormone levels that inhibit development of nerve tissue in the brain and suppress growth.
- Intense stress early in life can alter the brain's neurotransmitter systems and cause changes in the brain similar to those seen in adults with depression.

- Infants who routinely have crying episodes may be 10 times more likely to have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and develop antisocial behavior.

"It's pretty clear that babies who cry excessively have a harder time controlling their emotions and will actually be fussier as an older infant," Robert Sears says.

The dueling banjos of advice are leaving many parents baffled, angry and even guilt-ridden.

Barbara Light, 53, says she followed the Ferber method, and it just about drove her crazy with guilt.

"Babies don't come with instruction manuals," she says. "So I tried it on my first, Ryan, who's now 30. He cried and wouldn't sleep, and I was totally frazzled and guilty. I'd eventually go in, and we'd both cry. The crying just wired him more."

Yarrir Jorio, 35, says he and his wife, Safoua, gave up after trying the method with their son, Amr Hachem, 14 months.

"We found out that Amr did not care much for it. . . . We've given up on the Ferber method," Jorio says.

Still, there are many who are grateful to Ferber.

"We did Dr. Ferber's method with our now 8-year-old son," says Renee Pruitt. "While somewhat difficult, we had to do something or lose our sanity."

It worked. Eventually.

Many experts such as Dr. Brett R. Kuhn, a child psychologist and associate professor of pediatrics at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, say no single method fits all.

Right or wrong?

"I get a little frustrated when people ask if something is right or wrong," he says. "You can't make blanket statements. We don't have science to back it up that a kid is not going to be lying on a psychiatrist's couch at age 18 saying, `Doc, I'm messed up because my mama let me cry myself to sleep.' I think that's ludicrous."

Dr. Byron Cotton of Children's Healthcare of Atlanta says, "I don't think you should just leave them there when they are crying. I think you should put them down where you want them to stay, wait until they are sleepy and then leave. If they cry, wait five or 10 minutes."

Unfortunately for parents seeking a definitive answer, Dr. Linda Sonna, a child psychologist and professor at Yorkville University in Taos, N.M., recommends "a halfway point -- let them cry for five to 10 minutes, then go in and give them a reassuring pat, then leave again, and continue doing this."

Dr. Leslie Rubin, a pediatrician and professor at the Morehouse School of Medicine, says how to get babies to sleep is controversial not just because it's painful for kids and parents, but because scientific findings change radically.

"I know and work well with Dr. Ferber," Rubin says. "The only method I would condemn would be TVs in kids' rooms. I also would not endorse giving medication."

Tina Lewis took the combination approach.

"We have a 14-month-old son and tried every method . . . before we finally figured out that there was no one solution to getting our son to sleep," she says. "We eventually did a modification of letting our son cry himself out -- after four months -- and now he falls asleep and stays asleep beautifully."

Intuitively, Lewis figured out how to split the difference, a solution applauded by Rubin.

"It is too complex to boil down to a simple answer," he says.