Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts   View Today's Posts

Termites in Perth - Page: 1

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

08-02-2006, 10:28 AM #1
alzarex

Termites in Perth
We had the pest inspection for our proposed new home today and they said that the building is ok but that there are termites in the garden (in the wood round the old dried out vege garden so no great loss if treatable as we were going to rip it out anyway to reorganise) anyway as we've only just moved over from Sydney I'm not sure if this is a common thing which we've been told it is or if we need to get a second inspection/opinion done

any comments on termites in perth?

many thanks

ren

08-02-2006, 10:34 AM #2

Termites in Perth
it is common here and perth actually has really bad problems with termites....
if there is anything in your yard with termites the best thing you can do is treat it... or burn it. you DO NOT want them getting anywhere near the house. sorry.... fak.... will be back

10-02-2006, 08:39 AM #3

Termites in Perth
hi
any comments as to the various treatments/preventatives used and how toddler friendly they may be?
we're doing a final inspection tomorrow and I am trying to research to give background as to why I want the infested wood removed rather than just treated (none of it is stuff we'd keep anyway so I'd rather it just all be gone iykwim)

tia

ren

10-02-2006, 09:01 AM #4

Termites in Perth
Hi Ren. I don't know what the pest control people would use to treat the wood but I know my MIL uses toxic @##@# that would make the Green Room here cringe and I'd be seriously concerned having anything like that near where you want a veggie patch to be.

I'd say get rid of the wood in the garden if at all possible.

Hope some more Perth people are able to share their thoughts with you. Everyone in Perth seems to have a termite story!

Pen

10-02-2006, 12:34 PM #5

Termites in Perth
I also have a termite story! My parents house is mostly built of wood, and in the twenty years they were in it, there was never termites in the house (it was checked several times, and of course when they sold it). We had a woodpile in the garden that ALWAYS had termites in it though (not very near or touching the house). Apparently sometimes the termites are happy to stay in wood in the garden and don't go to the house unless their supply is taken away?! Sounds counter intuitive but honestly that's how my parents dealt with it.

10-02-2006, 08:44 PM #6

Termites in Perth
Hi - yes another termite story from Perth - only 2 months ago I found termites in the vege patch. I was devastated because it was new!!!

I had budget pest control come around and do and inspection....unfortunately the type of termite we had was a very ferocious species that scatter when you disturb them....and move onto to eat something else.

My home is timber frame so we really had no choice, its the only thing we have of value...so I had it treated.

They used something which Im SURE is toxic....but they assured me it was one of the safest treatments around....apparently the active ingredient comes from sunflower oil.

I had the treatment done around the perimetre of my fenced off area (which the vegie patch) is in.

I'd be interested to know about anything else tho - I was really quite devastated that I had to go through with the treatment, but given all the earthworks around the place (removal of trees the termites natural habitat) I knew that mhy home was at serious risk of being infected.

all the best

Kristi
xx

10-02-2006, 10:02 PM #7

Termites in Perth
sorry that should read infested lol not infected.

kristi
xx

11-02-2006, 04:43 AM #8

Termites in Perth
thanks everyone - I've instructed (initially asked now had to demand in no uncertain terms) the real estate agent to have the pest control people call us before they treat so we can work out what is best

we had a further look around today and we don't actually want to keep the wood where it is so if the sellers are going to try and do cheap and nasty i think i'd rather wait a week or two and just get everything removed and nests (if there are any - pest inspect couldn't find any) treated etc etc etc

ergh the outdoors is a dive and the rest of the place - hmmm might have to pop over to the rant section!

ren

12-09-2011, 09:17 AM #9

Termites in Perth
termite infestation cases have dramatically increased. Damages and repairs brought about by these little “white ants” could reach billions of dollars each year.

06-12-2018, 01:00 PM #10
slink

RE: Termites in Perth
(08-02-2006, 10:28 AM)alzarex Wrote:  We had the pest inspection for our proposed new home today and they said that the building is ok but that there are termites in the garden (in the wood round the old dried out vege garden so no great loss if treatable as we were going to rip it out anyway to reorganise) anyway as we've only just moved over from Sydney I'm not sure if this is a common thing which we've been told it is or if we need to get a second inspection/opinion done

any comments on termites in perth?

many thanks

ren

Try to use special cleaning liquids against termites, or call a special service crew in your region Smile