Luscious fresh blueberries together with a touch of lemon zest make these muffins a treat for the eyes and the taste buds. Berries are one of the best sources of anthocyanins, an antioxidant that helps prevent free radical damage in the body. 2 cup (240 g/8 1/2 oz) wholemeal flour 1 tablespoon baking powder 1 egg 1/2 cup (125 ml/41/2 fl oz) raw organic honey 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest 1/3 cup (83 ml/3 fl oz) cold pressed virgin olive oil 1 cup (250 ml/9 fl oz) low-fat milk 1 teaspoon vanilla essence 1/4 cup (43 g/11/2 oz) almonds flakes 1 1/4 cups (188 g/61/2 oz) fresh or frozen mixed berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
- Preheat oven to 180oC (350oF/Gas 4). Place muffin cases in a 12-hole muffin tray.
- Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix until well combined.
- In another bowl add all liquid ingredients and lemon zest, whisk until well combined.
- Slowly pour liquid into dry ingredients and gently combine. Be careful not to over mix as this will result in a heavy muffin.
- Gently fold in almonds and mixed berries so they don’t burst.
- Spoon mixture into muffin holes and bake for 30 minutes, until muffins have risen and are golden brown.
- Allow muffins to sit for 5 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Makes 12 medium sized muffins.
Tip: If using frozen mixed berries do not thaw, add to mixture frozen.