Much research has hit the media over the last few years about the benefits of tomatoes for prostate health – the important nutrient being lycopene. To access this from the tomato it must be cooked and either cooked in or eaten together with – a healthy fat or oil. This recipe is perfect to meet this criterion and will bottle up well for a last minute Fathers day gift. (Please be aware that tomatoes are contraindicated for arthritis and some digestive ailments.) Tomato Chutney
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon turmeric – ideally fresh and grated on a mandolin or ginger grater (available from fresh food markets). ¼ teaspoon of dried turmeric will suffice if fresh is unavailable.
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- Something spicy to taste
- ¼ packet spirit house curry (available in frozen packs at your deli). Or ¼ teaspoon of your favourite curry paste. Or a dash of fish sauce and a dash of cayenne pepper or tabasco
- Plus, if desired a couple of finely chopped chillies
- 4 – 6 tomatoes, chopped (ideally peeled first, though not essential)
- 2 – 3 teaspoons apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 spoonful of palm sugar (or brown/muscovado sugar)
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil for cooking
- ½ bunch of coriander, finely chopped (alternatively can be added whilst serving)
Method: Gently sauté onion, spices, garlic and ginger in oil for 5 minutes (to soften, ideally ensure it doesnt brown). Add tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and salt. Cover and reduce to simmer for 20 – 30 minutes. If mixture is watery, take off the lid and simmer till it has reached the desired consistency. Place everything in a blender, including coriander. Blend to desired texture. Taste and adjust seasonings – you may prefer to add extra salt, sugar or vinegar. For a chunkier texture, blend only ¾ of the mixture then stir together with the balance. Place in sterilised glass jars – allow the kids to decorate. Great accompaniment to the Fathers day BBQ, or use to make up bruschetta – over freshly toasted/grilled bread place a layer fresh basil then drizzle the chutney over the top. Happy Fathers Day!